The One and Only Ivan – Your thoughts!

Think you’ve got your head around the book? Try this quiz

http://www.shmoop.com/one-and-only-ivan/quotes-quiz.html

Paste these questions into a comment below answering them in full sentences. Justify your answers with examples from the text using your reading response journal as a resource.

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story?

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have

if you met Mack what would you say him?

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not?

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story?

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why?

25 thoughts on “The One and Only Ivan – Your thoughts!

1. Anonymous June 7, 2016 / 1:03 pm

Dear Ms Morrris,

Because it is from Ivan’s perspective of his life in the mall and then the zoo.

Stella is a mountain. Next to her I am a rock, and Bob is a grain of sand.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them. (Ruby), her trunk slowly felt around the edge of the truck and then very timidly two big ears show in the sun.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have.
    I think it is important because Stella and Ivan have been in the mall for so long and the promise Ivan has made to Stella was very hard because for a gorilla to get a baby elephant to a zoo is a hard commitment, but he made that commitment.

If you met Mack what would you say him?
    I would say to his face in a nice way, “have you ever thought about how you are treating the animals in the mall. And if he says no I would say he is a cruel man and how dare he lock good natured animals up for entertainment.

No because Mack just cared about getting money.

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story? Because Snickers is there for work and Bob just came off the streets and is not there for work.

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why?
    Where Ivan and Ruby arrive at the zoo because I was thinking to myself, Ivan did it, he really did it.

From Grace.R.

• gracengps June 8, 2016 / 9:56 am

Dear Grace.R,
      I loved reading your thoughts on all of the questions about the one and only Ivan, especially when you were describing Ruby in show don’t tell. The only feedback to you is to maybe to put more info into your paragraph because in some of them your only putting one sentence. Otherwise it’s great!!!
      🙂 😉
      From Grace.D

• Tom June 8, 2016 / 10:14 am

Great comment Grace!!!

Lots of info!

2. Anonymous June 7, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Hi Mrs Morris!

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story? Katherine chose to write the book in Ivan’s perspective because it wouldn’t have made sense if it was from Julia, George or Mack’s perspective, whereas having the book as Ivan’s perspective made it easier to understand

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence. I hear them chattering away like bumbling chimps. Humans waste words, they toss them like banana peels and leave them to rot

Bob, as usual is making snide remarks about Snickers to poor old Stella. The same sassy lines, every single day.

The relationship they have together is so important because Stella helped Ivan grow up in his cage and Ivan helped Stella with Ruby when she came.

if you met Mack what would you say to him?
    I would tell Mack that he is worthless and should never have kids or animals ever and that he should be in jail for life. (Most of the things I want to say to him can’t be put in appropriate words)

No I don’t think Mack cared about Ivan because Mack just cared about the money Ivan was making him and not about how his living conditions were and what he ate everyday.

They were treated differently because Bob was a stray and Snickers was owned by Mack and he/she had all the things he/she needed but Bob he was a free roaming dog he didn’t get proper food and water, but the other animals treated Bob a lot better

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why? Stella made the biggest impression on me because she was the wisest and kindest of the animals and she had the best stories to tell to keep Ruby from having nightmares

Sincerely Lily D

• LilyS June 8, 2016 / 10:00 am

Hello LilyD,
      I like your first simile. I like how you put humor into what you would say to Mack!!!!!
      From the bestest freind ever,
      LilyS

3. gracengps June 7, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Dear Ms Morris, here are my answers-

Well I think that she did that because It wouldn’t make sense if anyone else from the book was telling the story except for Ivan because he is the main character. Also so that people know what Ivan’s point of view was.

We are all family. Stella is a mountain, I’m a rock and Bob is a grain of sand. Miss Marchiona is the mountain, Ms Morris is the Rock and a student is a grain of sand.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them.
    Julia has a luscious and wild imagination. Her mind bubbles with ideas every day. Julia presses her hand gently on the glass and Ivan does as well.

They have known each other most of there life and Stella is Ivan’s best friend. It would be so hard to let her go. Also Stella helped Ivan grow up and learn new things.

If you met Mack what would you say to him?
    I would say to Mack that you are so cruel and you don’t even care about Ivan. He is lonely and has no family left other than the animals that are close to him at the Big Top mall. You should have let him go a long time ago.

I think that Mack did not care about Ivan because he was lonely and he didn’t get enough food and all Mack wanted was money.

I guess because Bob didn’t have a home and Snickers did. But Bob got treated better by the other animals.

I think that part of the book would have to be when Ruby was playing in the mud with the other elephants. It showed me that Ivan kept his promise with Stella and that would make Stella so proud.

Sincerely Grace.

• gracengps42014 June 8, 2016 / 10:05 am

Dear Grace,
      I loved your post. I like how you described the part in the book that left the most long lasting impression on you. It is very touching.
      I honestly don’t have any bad feedback I think the whole thing was amazing.

4. Hunter June 7, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Dear Mrs Morris
    I believe Katherine Applegate wrote the one and only Ivan for it is a very interesting story and entertaining, it gives more emotion and feeling when it is in Ivan’s voice.

He had a stormy relationship with his wife.
    “I like a book with dark beginnings, stormy middles and blue sky endings.”

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them.
    Bob pats Ivan on the back as he wails at the memories of his past. Ivan glumly stumbles across his pen, bob aware, fully follows.

It’s so important because it makes you so sad when Stella dies and you get to know Stella much better.

If you met Mack what would you say him?
    Me: “you’re a shmuck Mack”
    Mack: “why!”
    Me: “because you’re cruel to the animals and your a bad guy”

I think he does care because he would have spent a lot of money on him.

I think she made them so different to refer to what happens in real life with racial discrimination.

I think how nearly all of the story is true and how he had to live in a cement cage all those years.

Sincerely Hunter

• con0021 June 8, 2016 / 9:58 am

Hi Hunter
      I think you did really well and had full sentence and I liked your Metaphor.

5. Toby June 7, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Hey Ms Morris here are my answers

Katherine Applegate chose to have Ivan tell the story to make you feel that emotion that Ivan felt in the mall.

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence?
    I found the metaphor – I’ve played soccer for so long the bench beckons me to stop and rest like gazelles at a watering hole.

He likes black beginnings stormy middles and cloudless endings, also he is a big, black gorilla living in captivity at Big Top mall alone and sad.

I think Ivan and Stella have relationship that will never break apart and they tell the main part of the story.

if you met Mack what would you say him?
    I think Mack was a nasty man and deserves to go to hell for what he did to Ruby so I would say, Go die in a hole you dirty pig and he’d reply with” I agree, my actions were poor hopefully no one else does what I did.

Mack didn’t care about Ivan because he yelled at Ivan and kept him there for all those years just to get money for himself.

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story? They are treated so differently Because Bob is not part of the zoo and Snickers is also not a main character in the story and they came from the streets as strays.

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why? The part that gave me the most lasting impression is When Ivan started beating his chest to get Julia’s attention and it also made me think of how intellagient gorillas are.

Sincerely yours Toby Campbell

6. Anonymous June 7, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Dear Ms Morris
    These are the questions and answers for The One and Only Ivan

Applegate chose this so that the readers can have the point of view from Ivan’s side and get his emotions.

This is one that I found on another blog. Humans waste words the toss them like banana peels and leave them to rot. Children take off their jackets and drop them to let them rot.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them
    Ivan didn’t move all night because he didn’t want to wake the little dog resting on his belly. What you could hear in Ivan’s domain was the paint brush rubbing againsed the paper every night.
    I think that Stella was always there for Ivan and they were great friends because Ivan promised her that he would take Ruby to a zoo.
    I would ask him if he actually cares for the animals, and if he doesn’t then why is he doing it for money.
    I think that Mack was just going it for money and didn’t actually care.
    Snickers is working there and not really liked but Bob is loved and has come in from the streets
    I felt sad when I found out what the domain looked like.

• Anonymous June 8, 2016 / 9:48 am

Hey Tom
      Great post over all, just it needs a little bit more detail in some answers, other than that, good job!

From Lily D

7. LilyS June 7, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Dear Ms Morris

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story?:
    Because it is interesting to listen to a story from a gorillas point of view.

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence.:
    Their voices sounded like- “the throaty bark of a dog chained outside on a cold night”.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them:
    Ivan- Ivan sat so patiently he looked like a rock, Ivan’s touch was so soft it felt like butterflies flapping their wings on your skin.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have:
    Stella was in the mall when Ivan came and they had a friendship like Ruby and Ivan

if you met Mack what would you say him?:
    Get Ivan a better cage and get some real things from the wild. Let him out!!!

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not?:
    No because you could tell he Wasn’t happy and just had him so he could paint paintings to sell them for $20-$65

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story?:
    Sinkers is treated differently because he’s the dog in the show and earns Mack money!!!!

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why?:
    The part where Ivan explains what happens to his family because Its making you relate to Ivan and feel the emotions he’s feeling

Thank you
    Bye, Lilys

• Mikayla June 8, 2016 / 10:09 am

Hi lily,

I agree with you about when Ivan was telling his story. I really liked your discriptive sentence as well.

Kind regards Mikayla

8. jakengps June 7, 2016 / 9:23 pm

Hi Mrs Morris

Here are my answers.

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story? I think she told the story like this to show the reader how Ivan’s point of view would be.

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence. I write stories with black beginnings stormy middles and cloudless blue sky endings.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them. Bob was chucked onto the side of a busy highway left to fend for himself. Ivan is his and now accompanies Julia’s mum. and He disgusts poodles and how they feed off humans like parasites.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have. It is important because Stella and Ivan were there the longest and were lonely without another of their kind.

if you met Mack what would you say him? I would say “Mack these animals need to be with their kind. If you don’t let them go they will all end up like Stella.”

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not? Mack didn’t care for Ivan because he never fed him the right food.

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story? Because Mack doesn’t know that Bob lived there and Snickers is a stunt animal so Mack would keep him healthy to jump on Ruby’s back

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? the part that effected me the most was probably how Mack treated Ruby with the claw stick Why? It is interesting that someone would actually do such a cruel thing.

9. jamesngps June 8, 2016 / 9:51 am

Hi Mrs Morris, these are the answers to your questions

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story: Catherine Applgate made Ivan tell the story to show what the story was like from Ivan’s point of view.

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence: this is one of the similies in the book. Humans waste words. They toss them like banana peels and let them go to rot.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them: This is one of the animals in the book Ivan . The little animal scurries across the cage to rest of Ivan’s stomach. He keeps the mighty gorilla company.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have: The reason Stella and Ivan’s relationship is so important is because they were the first animals at the mall before the other animals came to the mall.

if you met Mack what would you say him: If I met Matt I would not be happy with him because to me in the book I thought he was really mean to Ivan. I would ask him why he was mean to the animals and tell him why he was mean.

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not: I don’t think mack cared about Ivan because if he did care he would put Ivan in a cage that is more like his original habitat.

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story: The reason Bob and Snickers are treated differently because Bob was a homeless dog. Also Snickers was a poodle and he had a pink fluffy pillow to sleep on and Bob had to sleep on Ivan.

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you?Why: The lasting impression was how humans can be so cruel to animal. Like when Mack used the Claw stick on Ruby.

From James

10. con0021 June 8, 2016 / 9:54 am

Hi Mrs Moris

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story? I think that Katherine choose to write the story in Ivan’s word so that you can read the story from his eyes.

Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence. Federal is like a mountain state is like a rock and local is like a grain of sand

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them. The paint splashed an the wall as he scoffed yogurt raisins in his mouth then he ran round the room like a giant hair ball

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have I think that the relationship between Stella and Ivan is important because if Stella wasn’t there then Ivan would be lonely and sad and no-one to talk to

if you met Mack what would you say him? You should have given Ivan a bigger cage and don’t use the claw stick

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not? Yes because when Ivan was leaving he was sad and gave Ivan a photo of them together

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story? Because Bob was a stray and he wanted to be alone and Snickers was part of the circus and lived in mac’s office

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why? I think the end was the most lasting part because he was happy and was at home and he could be a leader of a pack.

From Tom C

11. Mikayla June 8, 2016 / 9:59 am

Dear Mrs Morris,
    I think Katherine Applegate chose to write The One And Only Ivan in Ivan’s perspective because she heard about the story and thought Ivan was lonely so there would be a better story in an animals life.

A metaphor from the story:

I wish I could tell Ruby a story with a black beginning, stormy middle and cloudless blue sky ending.

As Bob rests his paws on my stomach his head twists around to the side. I think about how far I’ve gotten with him. I seem to look up to him when I need help.

Stella asked Ivan to promise her to make sure Ruby got to a zoo so she was safe. So Ivan will always remember Stella and he will always know that Stella will be happy with what Ivan did.

If I met Mack I would probably ask him why he was cruel and didn’t use the money he made to upgrade Ivan’s domain?

I don’t think Mack cared about Ivan a single bit because he never upgraded his domain or found him a new home or friend. Mack only kind of started to care when Ivan started painting the billboard picture.

Snickers was treated better because he was owned by Mack and he got everything he wanted. But Bob is a stray dog and doesn’t get much. All the animals like Bob better.

The part that left the most lasting impression on me was when Stella died. It was really descriptive and sad. Stella was also one of my favourite characters so it was really sad when she died.

Kind regards from Mikayla

12. Tom June 8, 2016 / 10:01 am

Hello Mrs Morris, here are the answers:

I think Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story so people could see it from the point of view of Ivan.

This is a simile that I REMEMBERED from the one and only Ivan, Humans don’t like to wait, but gorillas are as patient as stone.

This is a show don’t tell about Bob. Bob, disappointed, crawls from the empty bin and goes to forage in the dumpster outside. Every day he forages, runs away from humans with nets and takes long naps on Ivan’s warm belly. It’s hard to survive when you fell out of a truck as a baby

The relationship between Ivan and Stella is very important. If the relationship between them didn’t exist, Ruby wouldn’t be in a zoo

If you met Mack what would you say him?

If I met Mack I would say : “Die In A Hole!”

No, because if he did, he would have taken Ivan to a zoo in the earliest opportunity possible

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story.

Bob is treated better than Snickers in the story because Snickers doesn’t have as much as impact on the story as Bob

The part of the book that left the biggest impression on me was when Ivan saw Ruby playing with other elephants in the zoo because Ivan kept his promise to Stella and got Ruby somewhere safe.

13. oscarngps June 8, 2016 / 10:09 am

Hi Ms Morris,

So it makes it sound more sad coming from a gorilla’s point of view. I thought gorillas were stupid but now I don’t think they are.

Stella is a mountain, next to her I am a rock and Bob is a grain of sand. This is a quote that Ivan said in the book.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one.
    She gently nudges Ruby to her to her new home. She is a wonderful character it made me sad when something happened to her.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have. Stella trusts Ivan with Ruby’s life that’s a big responsibility. I think that if I was in Ivan’s shoes, I would promise her that I would that care of Ruby, but fail.

if you met Mack what would you say him?”Your a fat fat fat fat fat shmuck with no friends and no life”

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not? “Yes because if he dies Mack will lose a lot of money and then there will also be protesters that would try to sue.

Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story? Bob is a stray and Mack doesnt care about Bob because he has nothing to do with him and he dosnt make Mack money. But Snickers does and that is why Mack cares about him.

Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why? The claw stick. I thought how could they do something like that to a baby Elephant that is just so cruel. 🙁

From OSCAR

14. Clay June 8, 2016 / 10:14 am

Hi Ms Morris
    Applegate wrote the story from Ivan’s view Because its about him.

Stella is a mountain and I am a rock next to her and Bob is a grain of sand.

I stand tall and dark and show my importance like a lion with his mane, I am Ivan.

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have?
    So that the story has tension

If you met Mack what would you say him?
    You fool you can’t have anything like gorillas and elephants.

Yes because he raised him

Because Bobs a stray

The part where Stella dies, because they dump her in a garbage truck. It took 5 men and a crane.
    From Clay

15. rubyngps2014 June 8, 2016 / 10:15 am

Dear Ms Morris

These are my anwser for the One And Only Ivan

Q.1. Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story?

A.1. So that the people reading the story can tell the emotions from Ivans point

Q.2 Give an example of either a simile or a metaphor from the text and use it in a sentence.

A.2 I found the saying Stella is the mountain, next to her I am the rock, and Bob is the grain of sand. So I came up with my dad is the mountain, next to him is my mum the rock, and I am the grain of sand.

Q.3There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them

A.3 nice, caring, story teller and happy ( Ivan)

Q.4 What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have?

A.4. They have a special connection its like when they are together they will never lose each other.

Q.5.If you met Mack what would you say him?

A.5. Stop being rude and take some care for your animals it might change the way your zoo is going it might change the way the animals act which will help out your zoo a little bit.

Q.6. Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not?

A.6. No because if he did he would give Ivan a bigger cage. And something else to play with.

Q.7. Snickers and Bob are both dogs. But why are they treated so differently in the story?

A.7. Because snickers is not one of the main characters and they are both different sort of dogs.

Q.8. Describe the part of the book which you think left the most lasting impression on you? Why?

A.8. My favorite part is where Ruby got to go out with the other elephants because it made me happy.

From Ruby

16. Maya June 8, 2016 / 10:15 am

Hi Ms Morris

Why did Applegate choose to have Ivan tell the story? Applegate probably wanted to have a real character that is in another story telling this book and she probably knew how Ivan would have felt in the story.

If you met Mack what would you say him? If I met Mack I would ask him if he would like to be in a boring cement cage with no colour and just a tyre swing for 27 years.

Do you think Mack cared about Ivan? why/why not? I think Mack cared about Ivan but only for one reason, Ivan is a mighty silverback gorilla that would make him rich.

Snickers and Bob are both dog but they are for different purposes. Bob is a dog that is not supposed to be at the mall and Snickers is a dog that does an act in the show.

There are many characters in the book show don’t tell me about one of them?
    I think Mack is as rude, selfish and mean as a wasp looking for nectar to take for his a hive then stinging you like being punched by the biggest bully ever.

Humans waste words they toss them like banana peels and leave them to rot. Humans talk too much, They talk so much they might lose their voice

What is so important about the relationship Stella and Ivan have. The relationship that Ivan and Stella has is so important because they were in the same situation together and they both wanted to help Ruby to go to a zoo.

I think the part of the book that left me most lasting impression was when Stella passed away because it made me feel sad that a old elephant died.

From Maya Russell

17. aprilngps June 8, 2016 / 10:16 am

Dear Ms Morris,

Katherine Applegate wrote the one and only Ivan in Ivan’s perspective to show the reader what’s in like to be an animal/gorilla. The story shows what Ivan goes through each day.

A metaphor used in the story- humans waste words, they toss them like banana peels and leave them to rot. Humans talk too much and aren’t very nice.

Here is my show don’t tell-
    My knuckles glide through the fresh grass. I put my black nose in the air and sniff around, the sun shines on my thick black fur. I hear elephants and I know that Ruby is safe. I am where I belong with my family and at my home.

Ivan and Stella have a good relationship because they have know each other and they grew up together. Stella trusted Ivan to look after Ruby after Stella passed away.

If I met Mack I would- ask why money was more important than the safety of his animals.

Mack cared more about money and selling Ivan’s paintings then the safety of his animals.

Snickers and Bob are treated so differently because Snickers is apart of the big top mall, Bob lives there in Ivan’s domain (Bob is homeless dog)

Knowing that the story is based on a true story makes me think about the safety of animals and making sure no animal has to go through that kind of enclosure.

Sincerely April.

18. Beth June 8, 2016 / 10:17 am

To Miss Morris,

– Applegate chose Ivan’s point of view, because he is the actual gorilla from the real story.

– one metaphor that Ivan said in the book is, Gorillas are as patient as stones.

– ( Stella steps forward and back but that’s about far as she can move. Pain from years of chains and tricks force her to rest her foot. Ivan asks Stella to tell a story, Stella remembers all the cloudy days and long past days of sunshine in her life. Everyday Stella exits her cage then enters it again day after day. Her wise eyes look down at the small children that stop to watch. They look like stones and she’s a boulder, then they leave. Stella wraps her trunk around the rusty metal bars then rests again.

– Stella has been as close as family for Ivan for the last 27 seven years. But that’s not all they have been some of the only caring company for each other. But when Stella can’t go on any more Stella passes on a promise to Ivan to make sure that Ruby doesn’t have to live the life she has.

if you met Mack what would you say him?

– Why ! Why did you do it. Why didn’t you give up those animals earlier you kept them in a concrete cages. And even owning a claw stick.

– Yes, I think that Mack cared about Ivan because he raised him, and when Ivan was leaving Mac said he was sad that he was leaving and the he will miss him.

– Snickers is owned by Mack and relies on Mack. But Bob is a stray and finds food for himself, and relies on himself. Bob also thinks of himself wild and un-owned, and that everywhere is his home.

– I think the most lasting impression is put on me when Mac grabs the claw stick. Then he pressed it on Ruby then swings it above her head. That moment left me with hatred for Mack. After that moment I hated Mac so much that I wished that he was dead.

From Beth.