Migration Stories

Today I would like you to explore other people’s stories about why they migrated to Australia.  You can use the website ABC Splash or BTN to find some interesting stories or click on one of the links below. You may need to watch the video more than once to fully understand what each character is saying.

Please reply in a comment below including the following information:Diversity posterDiversity postermulticulturalism

•  The name of the article/video you watched and a link
  •  A summary of what it was about
  •  Two things you have learnt from the video
  •  Something you are now wondering about!

35 thoughts on “Migration Stories

1. Nathan_RULEZ#2016 July 27, 2016 / 2:39 pm

Hey Mrs Morris
    I watched a migration video from Ben the link is-
    It was about a family who traveled to Australia from Liberia. I learnt that it is hard to travel across country with nothing and how some family’s live with nothing but a little food. I’m wondering is…..how many people have to live in such devastation.
    From Nater

2. Tamiah July 27, 2016 / 2:45 pm

Hi Mrss Morris,
    I watched BTN and the video was called Migration Cuts. http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2523683.htm I learnt that most people have it worse then other migrants and that if you are born in Australia it doesn’t mean you are an Australian. People come from everywhere around the world. What does it take or how are you an Australian? Last year 1500 people migrated to Australia from all around the world. Some migrants come because they have no business, forced out, and some people aren’t allowed to come to Austrlia. The government are going to cut skilled migrants in to Australia, because the government doesn’t want Australia to compete with other countries, and some people are out of work and need that job.
    From Tamiah 🙂 😉

3. Rowan July 27, 2016 / 2:46 pm

The video I watched was the new migrants it was about a family that are new to Australia coming due to violence and poverty from Liberia I learnt how lucky I am to be an Aussie also that you can send off people years before even if you don’t want to.
    I wonder how it feels to be an migrant.

4. kaingps July 27, 2016 / 2:47 pm

The story is called the new migrant and the link to it is below.

I’ve learnt that the family have traveled over and they had to learn life all over again. That one of them learned to play soccer and got money for her family. I wonder if the family will grow up to be a famous familly and make lots of money.

5. Hope July 27, 2016 / 2:47 pm

What I found:
    Video: Migration cuts~ BTN

This video was about the government cutting the amount of people that can enter Australia as the population is getting greater and greater. From this video I learnt that it’s really hard to get into our country and that it can take up to 7 years to come from a foreign country to Australia. I’m wondering how many migrants come to Australia each decade.

6. Amelia July 27, 2016 / 2:48 pm

To Mrs Morris,

After watching a few videos I realised how lucky we are not having to move away from away family or having to leave anything behind. I feel quite bad for all of the immigrants who lost everything. I remember when I went to Fiji and I couldn’t understand the language they spoke but I know that it was nothing like what those immigrants had to deal with.

From Amelia

7. Hamish July 27, 2016 / 2:48 pm

Hey Ms Morris
    The Video I watched was called new migrants. It was about the Williams family who moved away from Liberia because of povaty and violence.
    I learned about how lucky and safe we are here in Australia. I also learned that there was a place where the refugees orientated with people that are already living in Australia.
    I wonder how the family is doing now and I wonder if they have settled in well.

8. Jesse July 27, 2016 / 2:48 pm

Hi Mrs Morris
    Today I watched a video called immigration cuts. This was about how immigration has changed over time and how people got from there country to come to Australia and live a better life. I learnt That immigrants were incorged to come to Australia but now they are not. That there was so much kids how had to go throw all of the bad stuff. I am now wondering whats happening to refuges right now.
    From Jesse 6B

9. lukengps July 27, 2016 / 2:52 pm

Hi mrs Morris
    New Migrants.
    It was about a family that have fled from there home country and the volunteers help them get there school stuff ready and getting use to being Australia, getting friends, sports and a lot more.

I learnt that there is a group that helps the migrants, I also learnt that the kids at there school don’t bully them.

I wonder what happens to the family next.
    From Luke

10. Sam & ollie July 27, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,
    Me and ollie watched the video chines immagration together.
    It was about the many Chinese imagrants that started to come Australia in the early 1850s around the time of the gold rush. After the gold rush many Chinese went back to there family’s and people still remember what effect they had on Australia and still have today

I learnt that different culturs can have a really great effect on Australians.

I wonder how many chines people are in Australia today

From Sam & Ollie

11. gracengps July 27, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Dear Ms Morris

New Mirgrants- http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3343578.htm
    This article is about a new family coming to Australia as refugees from a country called Liberia in Africa. They had to spend over a year at a refugee camp before they came to Australia. Now the kids have a great education and they are living a happy life. 🙂
    2 things I learnt:
    – When your a refugee you have to persist a lot.
    – It must take a lot of confidence to go to a new school and learn their language.
    1 wondering:
    – I wonder that when you come to Australia as a refugee do you have to pay?

From Grace 😉

12. Lachie 6B July 27, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,
    I’m sorry that I couldn’t access the videos on the links. Instead I watched a video on BTN about Captain John Egge and why he, like many other Chinese immigrants came to Australia.

Why Captain John Egge came to Australia.

Captain John Egge came to Australia around 1850 to try and make his fortune like lots of other Chinese immigrants. Unlike most settlers instead of going down to the goldfields to dig for gold he decided to start up a paddle steaming business to carry other immigrants across the Murray river. He also founded the town of Wentworth in New South Wales.
    Coming to Australia to find business or to make money is only one of the reasons that people came to Australia. I’m wondering why he made the decision or how he started to build the town of Wentworth.
    Lachie 6B

13. Jamie July 27, 2016 / 2:59 pm

To Ms Morris,
    I watched Migration Cuts on BTN. Here is the link: http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2523683.htm
    It was about people not being able to migrate to Australia anymore. An interesting thing I learnt was that people used to be encouraged to come and live in Australia and most classes will have a person from another country in that class. I am now wondering if they will still let people from all across the world.
    From Jamie

• Jamie July 27, 2016 / 3:01 pm

From all across the world come in. Oops!
      From Jamie

14. sarahngps2014 July 27, 2016 / 3:03 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,
    Today I watched a video on BTN called European Migration. The story follows the immigration of people from places like Syria and Afghanistan due to war or poverty. I learnt that Germany opened their borders and that a lot of people cut through border fences illegally to get into other countries that haven’t opened their borders. I now wonder is that still happening since the video was made last year.
    From Sarah.

15. Bella July 27, 2016 / 3:03 pm

The article I read was called From Japan To Bathhurst: 40 years of living and loving regional Australia told in paint.
    At http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-02/from-japan-to-bathurst-40-years-living-in-and-loving-bathurst/7466400
    It’s about a woman who grew up in Japan, she has painted all her life. In 1975 she left with her family to go to Bathhurst.
    The 2 things I have learned are that Japan has their own type of art style and that ther Es a place called Bathurst.
    My wondering is: what does Japan’s painting is

16. con0021 July 27, 2016 / 3:04 pm

Migrant cut http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2523683.htm
    My story was about jobs in au and how there are too many immigrants so there are going to cut back on how many immigrants that come into Australia. I learnt that the government chooses how many immigrants come into Australia and that they are going to stop immigrants from being a Builder or Plumber. I am wondering about how we can help.

17. Ruby July 27, 2016 / 3:05 pm

The name of the article/video you watched and a link

A summary of what it was about
    my video was about a family who migrated to Australia and they were helped by a guy showed them around and 3 weeks later they really liked the place and the 7 children went to school and made friends.

Two things you have learnt from the video
    -That it is hard to fit in when you are new
    -it is scary when you first come to a different country

Something you are now wondering about!
    -If when you move how do you get a house what do you first live in when you get there?

from Ruby

18. connorngps2014 July 27, 2016 / 3:06 pm

Hi,
    I watched the video From Sudan to Adelaide
    It was about a ten year old girl called Veronica who moved to Australia from Sudan and lives with two brothers and a cousin
    I learnt that in Sudan the oldest woman in the house is the lady of the house and they have to do the house work. I also found out that in Sudan beating children in school is still legal.
    I wonder how she got to Australia and if she lived in a remote area. I also want to find out how many countries still allow forceful discipline at school.

19. jasminengps2014 July 27, 2016 / 3:06 pm

Hey Mrs Morris!
    Today I watched European Migration on BTN. The story’s about immigration for people from Syria and Afghanistan due to war or poverty. I learnt that heaps of refugees migrated to Germany because the borders were open and they let the refugees in. I wonder what the amount of food is that the refugees brang on the boats.

Jas 6B

20. Maya July 27, 2016 / 3:06 pm

Hi Ms Morris

I watched New Migrants on btn http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3343578.htm

It was about the Williams family coming to Australia for the first time. They lived in Liberia in Africa and are having a better time here

-I learnt that there is a country called Liberia
    -I also learnt that they must not have library’s in Liberia because they didn’t know how borrow

Why do they call people are that are moving from another country, refugees

21. Hunter July 27, 2016 / 3:08 pm

Hi Mrs. Morris
    Today I watched a BTN episode called Asylum seekers, it was about refugees and the Christmas Island detention centre and how it is starting to get full. I would hate to be an asylum seeker. I learned that the war in Afghanistan isn’t getting any better and asylum seekers would rather be in a detention centre then in a war torn country but free. I wonder just how much a trip from a middle eastern country to Australia would cost. Here is the link.
    Thanks Hunter

22. Mikayla July 27, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,

The video I watched was New Migrants on btn. http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3343578.htm
    It was about a family sharing there first few days with us. It showed them progressing on school and learning English.
    1. I learnt that when you move to a different country it’s not easy you might have to learn a whole new language.
    2. I learnt that it is hard to get rid of bad past from your old country if there was any. You have to remember your just refreshing your life.
    I wonder why the family immigrated.

Sincerely Mikayla

23. LilyS July 27, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Hi Mrs Morris

I watched ‘Asylum Kids’
    It was about 2 boys from Adelaide who got taken in a plane to Darwin whilst a btn reporter reported and asked their freinds questions
    I learnt that they take you in a plane to Darwin
    they didn’t deserve that they didn’t have a chance to say bye. The 2 boys have their own rights and did nothing.

Bye
    Lilys

24. Anonymous July 27, 2016 / 3:10 pm

Hi ms Morris,
    The video I watched was New Migrants. It was about a family that came to Australia for a better life. Before they came they were in a refugee camp. They came to Australia and a man helped them learn what to do and how to do things like how to borrow books in a library. And in 3 weeks they were in school like they have been there the whole time. 2 things that I learnt was that when people come to Australia they have to have someone help them learn everything, another thing was that I learnt what asylum seekers are. They are people that leave their country because of war or something that has happened. The thing I am wondering about is if they have no money how can the get a house and supplies.
    From Tahlia

25. emilyngps42014 July 27, 2016 / 3:10 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,
    I watched a video on BTN http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4305291.htm It was called European migration it was about people coming from places like Syria and Afghanistan and sailing on small rafts to Europe many not making it. Some places are putting up wire fences because there are so many refugees coming over but other countries are opening there borders. I learnt that some refugees come over in little raft boats that the have to row and that some of the Countries are putting up more stable fences I’m know wondering how many people would of come over this year.
    From Emily

26. Ethan July 27, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Hi Mrs Morris
    New migrants http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3343578.htm
    This clip is about a family who migrated from Liberia and are learning how to use stuff that they didn’t get in their old country
    I learnt that when you immigrate you get taken all around the place.
    I also learnt that they don’t know how to borrow books from the library.
    I wonder how long it would have taken to get from Liberia to Australia.
    Ethan

27. Lily D July 27, 2016 / 3:12 pm

Hi Ms Morris!
    I watched Brexit on BTN (http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4482957.htm)

It was all about how Britain voted to leave the EU, and kids opinions on it and how it would effect immigration.

I learned that leaving the EU would effect the whole world, not just the UK and Europe, and immigration would be effected too.

I’m now wondering, why did they leave the EU? they knew what the consequences would be and now the entire world’s economy has dropped, Britain’s prime minister resigned, a whole lot of chaos!

Thanks, Lily D

28. Tom . L July 27, 2016 / 3:13 pm

Chinese Immigration BTN
    This Video Is About The Thousands of Chinese immigrants that came to Australia in the gold rush. It also tells you about a relative of one of the Chinese immigrants
    2 Things I learnt: There were paddle steamers in the 1850s.
    There where more than 4000 Chinese that came to Australia in the 1850s.
    1 Wondering: What was captain John Egge’s full story?
    From Tom.L

29. jamesngps July 27, 2016 / 3:14 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,

This is the web site that I was looking at:http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4482957.htm

This btn was about how people in the UK were debating about people coming into there country. I heard both sides of the story from different people.

2 things I learnt:
    . Immigration and letting people in a country is a big thing in the UK
    . There are lots of people that want to come into the UK.

1 wondering:
    . Why is it such a big problem letting people in another country.

30. jakengps July 27, 2016 / 3:14 pm

Hi Ms Morris,
    The video I watched was about detention camps http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4023310.htm . It was practically saying how a Syrian family are coping with their new life. I found out that not all refugee camps are on islands and safe areas. This camp was on the edge of Syria. I found out how much you can’t trust anyone. A kid tried to tell the cameraman to flee. I wonder why Syria is always having conflict. Is it because there vunerable?
    Cheers Jake.

31. Anonymous July 27, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Hi Mrs Morris,
    I have learnt that kids and adults have had more options than just a boat to come to Australia. There options were plane, boat , some type of job, or they are studying.
    But the most common one was the boat. Because people were coming from a country that they were in danger.
    From Grace.R.

32. clayngps July 27, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Hi miss M

I watched a BTN video called New Arrivals
    It was about refugees coming to Australia
    I learned that they get volunteers help them and they get them to interact with the world
    around them
    What’s it like to be in their shoes

From clay

33. Oscar July 27, 2016 / 3:17 pm

HELLO Miss Morris,
    I watched a BTN video (I will put the link down the bottom) It was called Immigration cuts. It was all about the Immigrants make a difference in our economy. I think the government should definitely let them in it will make a better life for us and them.

34. aprilngps July 29, 2016 / 10:41 am

Hi Miss Morris,
    I watched a video on btn about Chinese migration-http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4178063.htm This video is about Chinese immigration. Many Chinese started coming to Australia in the 1850s for the gold rush and some have come because they wanted a better life.
    I learned that now 865-thousand people of Chinese background are living in Australia sharing their culture with all of us.
    I wonder if that number will grow throughout the next few years.
    From April